Initial Results of ABA Multi-Center Evaluation on the Effectiveness of Burn Navigator, 286 patients, 20211
- Average 4.07 mL/kg/TBSA and 151.48 mL/kg of primary fluids given in first 24 hours
- When all fluids were considered, the “followed Burn Navigator” group received less than the Ivy Index (250 mL/kg in first 24 hours) and was associated with a decreased incidence of shock
Original U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research Burn Center Retrospective Review of 70 patients, J Salinas et al, 20112
- 24-hour fluids given reduced from 6.5 to 4.2 mL/kg/TBSA (Total Burned Surface Area)
- 2.5 fewer ventilator days
- Mortality decreased from 44% to 29% between groups
U.S. Army Burn Center Retrospective Review of 207 patients, J Salinas et al, 20123
- 24-hour fluids given were 3.5 mL/kg/TBSA
- Mean urine output for initial 24 hours was 55 mL/hr
University of Texas Medical Branch Retrospective Review of 53 patients, G Kramer et al, 2015 (poster presentation)4
- Mean 24-hour fluids given reduced from 4.1 to 3.0 mL/kg/TBSA
- Acceptance of recommendations was 89%
- Unadjusted mortality rate of 33% in before group, 17% in after group
University of Texas Medical Branch Retrospective Review of 154 patients, J Sheaffer et al, 2017 (oral presentation)5
- Acute Kidney Injury incidence reduced from 15% to 6% in first five days (p=.089)
- Rizzo JA, Serio-Melvin ML, Coates E, Liu NT, Salinas J. Initial results of the American Burn Association (ABA) Multi-Center evaluation on the effectiveness of the Burn Navigator. Abstract from J Burn Care Res. 2021;42(Supplement 1); doi:10.1093/jbcr/irab032.000.
- Salinas J, et al. Computerized decision support system improves fluid resuscitation following severe burns: An original study. Crit Care Med 2011 39(9):2031-8.
- Salinas J, et al. Review of Patients Resuscitated Using a Computerized Decision Support System in A Burn Intensive Care Unit. Crit Care Med 2012, 225: Abstract only.
- Kramer GC, et al. Computerized Decision Support for Burn Resuscitation. J Burn Care and Research 2015, 36(3): S214
- Sheaffer J, et al. Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury in Computerized Decision Support System Guided Fluid Resuscitations, American Burn Association Oral Presentation, 24 March 2017.